Sunday, March 27, 2011

The Story of God, the Story of Us

The past few weeks I've been reading a metanarrative of the Bible. I also peeled open the first couple books of the old testament, despite the dust that hung onto the pages that had remained closed for too long. I realized that I had basically ignored Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and their successors for quite some time. I avoided them, I guess because they always seemed like boring history and never ending lists of genealogy. Oddly enough, I'm just short of being a history guru, you would think that I would enjoy the old stories from the Bible. Perhaps hearing the stories of  Noah, Father Abraham, and Joseph over and over again as a child, sent me desperately to the book of Matthew and beyond looking for fresh material. It's easy to jump to the gospel, read, and reflect because it seems to be "more life applicable," that is, unless you know how to read between the lines. Between the lines...that's where I've been, and that's where I remembered.....remembered that I had forgotten. No matter how much we experience and learn in our lifetime, it's so easy to.....forget.

Abram....How easily and quickly we lift him up, Father Abraham, and admire him because he was willing to sacrifice Isaac. Obviously he loved God and had great faith, but like me, he also had a fair share of run-ins with sin. I lost count of the instances where he lied to others about his wife, Sarai, claiming that she was his sister. Also, when God made a covenant with him, Abram taunted and doubted him by saying, "O Lord God, what will you give me, for I continue childless, and the heir of my house is Eliezer of Damascus? You have given me no offspring, and so a slave born in my house is to be my heir." (Genesis 15: 2-3) He even doubted God after the covenant was made by laying with his wife's slave-girl, Hagar, to assure he would have children. I think about all the mistakes that Abram/Abraham made and it's easy to judge and condemn him, but when I look at him I see someone very familiar, I see me. Like Abraham, I have doubted God. Countless times I've worried, doubted, and tried to take control of different situations in my life. I've even doubted God here in the Dominican Republic. That's the oxymoron to top 'em all ..."a missionary that doubts God." Odd I know, but true. I worry about finding a job once I return home, which shows that somewhere deep down, I doubt that God will provide for me. So, I am like Abraham. I forgot that for the last twenty seven years God has provided and cared for me. I forgot that he is all powerful and can take care of all my needs. I forgot that I am helpless and no matter how much I think I am in control, I am definitely not in control. I forgot...and because of that, I let fear and doubt consume me. But...like Abraham, God can still use me, for his glory.

Joseph.....sold into slavery by his jealous brothers. Brought to Egypt where he resists the advances of Potiphar's wife, but she lies and he suffers the consequences in jail. Let's stop right here...why? Because if the first half of Joseph's life doesn't humble you, then I don't know what will. I guarantee that I and none of you have ever been sold into slavery, especially not at the hands of our own family. I'm also guessing that none of us have been unjustly imprisoned after turning down the advances of a married person. However, the last few years I've been complaining to God about very trivial circumstances in my life. I'm sure we've all complained to God over trivial things. I forgot how good my life was and how much God had already blessed me. Back to Joseph. So, life gives him the short end of the stick and he's in prison, but God is with him. Joseph gains favor with Pharaoh and is given power over Egypt. He saves Egypt from famine and in the process he also saves his family, reconciles with his brothers, and brings his family to Egypt to share in his prosperity. Joseph...a man who's faith was so mature that he forgave his brothers for selling him into slavery. "God sent me before you to preserve for you a remnant on earth, and to keep alive for you many survivors. So it was not you who sent me here, but God; he has made me a father to Pharaoh, and lord of all his house and ruler over all the land of Egypt." (Genesis 45: 7-8) He then brings his family to Egypt (Goshen) to share in his prosperity. Joseph...I forgot about you, and I bet most of us have. I've definately been wronged by people, and unfortunately had my fair share of grudges. When I think about Joseph and how he handled life I remember the importance of humility and forgiveness. I forgot that humility and thankfulness go hand in hand, and I was overlooking all the ways that God was providing for me. I had also given forgiveness my own earthly boundaries, in which I only forgave people who were "easy" to forgive. You know, people whom you love and have only done minor things against you. I know I was wrong, God showed me that I was, and he continues to work in my heart. So Joseph....I forgot about you and how you lived your life as an example for all of us. Your faith was definately stronger than mine is right now, but I'm growing. And God probably won't use me to save Egypt from famine, but God can use me to save some people from hell.

The old testament...I neglected you for too long. Now I'm reading and I see myself in all these pages of ancient history. I see myself making the mistakes that people made thousands of years ago. I see myself doubting God, turning back to him, and him forgiving me like he did my predecessors. I see him changing my heart and using me for his kingdom. Intertwined in all of these passages God is calling out to all of us, remember...remember...remember!!!. I see that the Bible, the story of God....is the story of us....and it's the story of me. I'll try my hardest not to forget.

2 comments:

  1. Good word Jeff, and good to hear from you! I'm also reading through the OT, and am honestly learning so much more this time that ever before. There's so much for us to see, about the character of God, the majesty of Christ's gift, and our own place here, if we're just willing to crack that Good Book open ;-) Hope you're doing great, we miss ya dude!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said. I too need to get back to the "basics". Thanks for the insight. Hope all is well. God's blessings.

    ReplyDelete